Discomfort in this area is familiar to almost everyone. People experience it at a young age, and by the age of 30-40, low back pain becomes common.
However, only a specialist can determine why the lower back can hurt so much that it is impossible to straighten up, even lying down hurts, and pain appears in the lower back after each movement.
People want to find out why and why the lower back hurts so much when you sit or stand, with any movement the spine behind your back causes pain, so that you cannot straighten up after sitting on a chair, and what cause symptoms, how and what to treat, what made her feel bad. It is impossible to answer these questions unequivocally and without in-depth investigation, because there can be many root causes.
When a person complains "I can't sit and it hurts to walk", the lower back hurts when getting up or sitting in a chair, I often cannot walk or stand for a long time, it is impossible to relax in a sitting position for a month, the cause These are spinal diseases.
In addition, pathologies can be congenital or acquired due to an incorrect lifestyle, predisposition or injury.
Common causes of pain in spinal diseases:
- Congenital anomalies.
- Poor blood circulation in the spinal cord.
- Degenerative changes.
- Damage to secondary nerves that develops against the background of changes in the position of the bones of the spine.
Before deciding how to treat lower back pain quickly and effectively, you need to understand why, when you get up from a sitting position, your back hurts so much that it is difficult to straighten up. Acquired or congenital deformities of the spinal bones are often to blame.
Curvature occurs throughout life. Often the person himself causes changes in himself, not observing his posture or preferring to sleep in a soft bed. As a result, the load on the bones, muscles and ligaments is not physiologically distributed, which causes pain.
People with established diagnoses will have to suffer regular attacks:
- Flat back syndrome.
Strict adherence to the doctor's recommendations can help in this case. Even if a person is born with these pathologies, today it is possible to stop development and live a full life.
Aching pain that radiates into the chest may be the only sign of developed osteoporosis. At the same time, unpleasant sensations are weak and appear irregularly. More often, discomfort is felt after heavy physical exertion or when the weather changes.
Even if the disease is not congenital, it can develop during life as a secondary disease after a series of negative influences, including intoxication and misuse of medications.
A pathological fracture is considered dangerous. It is accompanied by more intense pain than normal. At the same time, as there was no injury as such and it does not interfere with movement, it often remains undiagnosed. Which after some time can lead to additional complications.
The question of how to quickly cure lower back pain is relevant for people with osteoporosis, because in their case, unpleasant attacks can be stopped easily and quickly.
When thinking about why, when I sit or stand for a long time, my lower back in the region of the spine, often below the lower back, constantly hurts, try to remember if you hit this place.
Even a small blow or fall can cause serious injuries that may not be easily detected at first glance.The most common causes of traumatic back pain:
- Spinal contusion.You can easily get it by falling unsuccessfully or crashing into your back. It manifests as mild pain, sometimes with the formation of swelling or bruising at the site of impact. Most of the time it does not require special treatment. However, in severe cases it can cause neurological symptoms.
- Compression fracture.More often it occurs with forced sharp flexion of the trunk. Later, it manifests as severe pain when moving. Pointed processes of the vertebrae can be felt locally.
- Vertebral subluxationreveals itself not only with pain and swelling, but also with frequent numbness at the site of the injury. The lower limbs also gradually begin to go numb.
It is extremely important to be extremely careful with impacts and falls in the spine region. Due to mild pain, it is easy to miss serious damage, which will subsequently lead to greater restrictions in life.
The cause of intense, chronic burning pain that constantly aches, cuts, grips and does not go away in the lower back and lower back may be infection.
There are pathologies that affect the spine. Without treatment, these illnesses will quickly turn a person into a disabled person. Spread of infection:
- OsteomyelitisIt can be introduced into the body through injury, during surgery, or through contact with another infected person. The infection causes sharp, intense pain that occurs with each sudden movement. In this case, the chronic course of the infection is characterized by softened manifestations of pain. In addition, the person suffers from intoxication, chills and fever.
- Epidural abscessleads to intense pain, combined with chills and intense muscle tension.
- Spinal tuberculosisit develops slowly but inevitably. At first, it only manifests itself as periodic pain after physical exertion and stiff gait. As bones deteriorate, pain increases and the ability to move completely decreases.
In addition to constantly spreading unpleasant sensations, sometimes people feel sharp pains in the lower back, lower back, when sitting, what it may be and what it is called is determined by a specialist based on the results of examinations and examinations. The cause is local inflammation.
Boils, carbuncles and paranephritis are easy to recognize. The first two phenomena are lumps on the skin that react painfully to touch. In case of paranephritis, fever appears first and severe pain, which prevents full movement and walking, develops on the 2-3rd day. The condition is considered serious and requires hospitalization.
Sometimes the explanation for why the lower back can hurt is that it constantly gets into it, grabs when you stand for a long time, and sometimes the back starts to hurt as if it will soon fall, and the decision about what to do and what to treat may be infectious diseases.
Increased temperature, intoxication, need to find a more comfortable position, muscle and joint pain - these are signs of an infected person. It often occurs in severe cases of ARVI or flu.
Similar symptoms may also indicate infection:
- Ebola fever.
- Human-type foot-and-mouth disease.
- Severe course of coronavirus.
- Generalized forms of viral or fungal infections.
If these signs appear, you should immediately consult a doctor, as the condition may worsen in a matter of hours.
When finding out why the lower back hurts and pulls, why it squeezes the back in the spinal area, why when you sneeze it radiates to the back, which began to hurt much more often, you need to establish the cause before deciding what to do.
In addition to problems directly with the spine, muscle damage can also hinder a person. This problem is often encountered by professional athletes, people who do a lot of strength training or who perform physical work. After excessive tension for several days, painful sensations appear in the lumbar muscles, which disappear under the influence of medications, warming ointments and massage.
However, there are also chronic changes in muscle tissue, which often occur against the background of serious illnesses and are their consequence. If they are detected, complex therapy is carried out, sometimes even surgical intervention is required.
Types of pain
To understand what helps in the treatment of low back pain and how to get rid of it, you need to pay attention to the characteristics of the symptom.
If the discomfort appears suddenly and recently, the phase is called acute, and if you suffer for more than 3 months, it is called chronic.
Depending on the intensity and variety of sensations, there are:
- Mechanic.It occurs after intense physical activity, usually in the afternoon, accompanied by a feeling of tiredness. It heals easily with rest. Most often, this is the result of degradation of the bony structures of the spine or their strong curvature.
- Inflammatory.It intensifies after rest, a period of immobility. After some time, it weakens due to constant movement or taking anti-inflammatory painkillers.
- Local.The result of direct damage to muscles, joints or ligaments. Focuses directly on the point of damage.
- Koreshkovaya.It appears when nerves are compressed due to injuries, tumors or hernias. Simultaneously with the occurrence of pain, the sensitivity of the injury site decreases.
- Reflection.The most dangerous type because it deceives people. The patient thinks he has back pain, but in fact it is reflected sensations that arise due to a disease of the internal organs.
- Myofascial.A protective mechanism, which appears due to muscle spasm when bones are damaged.
Depending on the description of the sensations, the doctor will be able to understand within the first few minutes what type of illness the person contacting him has.
Which doctor should I contact?
As soon as an unpleasant shooting in the lower back, constant pain or discomfort appears, the question arises of consulting a doctor.
Since this part of the body is specific in that there is not only the spine and muscles, but also a large number of internal organs, which can also cause discomfort if the disease develops, it is highly not recommended to treat it at home. Due to the inability to determine the source of the pain, the situation may worsen.
Initially, it is best to consult a general practitioner with these symptoms. Based on the symptoms that appear, the characteristics of the pain and the location of the injury, he will be able to determine which specialist should treat the problem.You may be referred to:
- For the surgeon.
- Urologist or gynecologist.
After the examination, the necessary tests will be prescribed to determine the exact cause of the discomfort.
By deciding to go to a specialist on your own without first consulting a therapist, you risk making an inaccurate diagnosis and wasting valuable time.
Patients often come to the doctor when they experience infernal back pain, so severe that it hurts to stand up and walk, without even straightening up, because it hurts in the center or in the lumbar region, which can cause discomfort in the spine, which causes the disease and what to do, what treatment for low back pain.
- Patient interviewcollection of data on signs and time of disease development. It is also important to know your medical history and identify chronic diseases that can influence the development of crises.
- Neurological examination.The doctor checks whether reflexes are preserved, how much muscle strength and reaction speed are affected and how much movement is restricted. Furthermore, the degree of superficial and deep sensitivity is examined.
- X-ray of the affected area of the back.The image will show the injuries received, pathological decrease in the intervertebral space, curvature and the beginning of degenerative processes. New growths are also detected.
- Computed tomography or magnetic resonance imagingused to clarify the data obtained. They help to determine the location of even small hernias or processes in the spine, help to understand where the pinched nerves are located and why this happened.
- Functional studiesare aimed at determining the state of the muscles and the degree of damage to the nervous tissue, the speed of passage of the nerve impulse.
- Laboratory tests.Blood sampling is necessary to determine whether the inflammation is infectious in nature.
Also, depending on the indications, an x-ray of internal organs located near the painful area may be prescribed. This is done to prevent exacerbations of chronic diseases of the kidneys, gastrointestinal tract or genitourinary system.
It is extremely important to correctly provide first aid to the patient and transport him to a medical facility without further injury. In case of an attack, place the person on something hard or lighten the load on their back and take them to the hospital.
How and with what to treat the back and what to do when the back in the middle of the spine is very strong and it constantly hurts in the lower back, lower back, the doctor decides only after finding out the reasons for this happening, treatment in this case is prescribed both conservatively and in the form of surgical intervention.
Before the exam, it is not recommended to use medications to suppress symptomatic pain, with only a single dose of analgesic being permitted.
After examinations and diagnostic measures, the doctor will prescribe an adequate and complex treatment for back diseases.Therapy includes:
- Taking medications.
- Use of external medications.
- Lifestyle changes.
In difficult cases, surgical intervention is also performed.
Several types of medications are used to treat back pain:
- NSAIDs are analgesics and anti-inflammatories.At the first appointment it is possible to administer it by injection, in the future doctors recommend a combination of tablets and ointments with a similar effect.
- Local anestheticsused to create a block in cases where the pain becomes unbearable.
- B vitaminsenhance the effect of other medications, stimulate better blood supply to the affected area of the back.
- Physiotherapyperformed after relief of acute pain. As soon as the attack ends, a special therapy is selected that has a positive effect on the condition of the spine. Additionally, a set of physiotherapy exercises is prescribed.
Surgical intervention is an undesirable option for the development of the situation. The spine is one of the most complex organs in the human body. There are many points nearby that affect the functioning of the body, so doctors try to perform surgical intervention as little as possible. However, there are desperate situations in which it is impossible to restore health without a surgeon's scalpel.
Surgical intervention is necessary:
- In case of tumor formation.They are removed regardless of benignity or malignancy, as a gradual increase causes severe pain and can cause paralysis.
- Intervertebral hernias,gradually destroying the space around him. They are the culprits of constant, never-ending pain.
- Narrowing of the intervertebral canal.
- Instability of the spinal elements,serious injuries that require additional fixation of bones in their places.
After treatment or surgery, the patient must be prepared for the fact that there is still a lot to do to finally say goodbye to pain.
Depending on the reasons for the pain in the lumbar spine and the intensity of the pain, treatment is prescribed. However, taking medication and possible surgery is not all that is needed to return to a full, healthy life.
More often, additional rehabilitation includes physiotherapeutic procedures.Frequent queries:
- Massage.Also, it is not recommended to choose this procedure on your own.
- Course in physiotherapy,which is performed under the supervision of an experienced trainer who knows at what speed and intensity the exercises should be performed. It is also possible to use specialized simulators.
- Manual therapy.
- Physiotherapy,aimed at additional use of analgesics: electrophoresis, magnetic therapy, laser treatment.
When deciding how to treat severe, sharp or aching back pain in the lower back, the doctor determines what to do if the spine constantly aches and hurts, the muscles are tense and stiff, depending on the reasons, additional treatment is prescribed. In which a course of restorative procedures is additionally prescribed in detail that will help improve well-being and return to a healthy state. Patients should be prepared for the fact that the rehabilitation period can last more than a month if the nerve endings or vertebrae are severely damaged.
If, turning to friends with a complaint: "If the lower back suddenly hurts for no reason, the back slumps, then what to do in such a situation? " in response you hear only a suggestion to take an analgesic, do not hesitate to follow this advice.
The main consequences of untreated spinal diseases:
- Greater spread of painintensification of attacks due to the fact that more healthy tissue will suffer from a gradually expanding problem area.
- A sharp deterioration in the functioning of the cardiovascular system.And problems in this area can lead to the development of chronic diseases of any organ, including deterioration of brain function.
- In the worst cases it is possibletemporary or permanent paralysis of the limbs.
In addition, self-medication without preliminary diagnosis or medical prescription can lead to a deterioration in well-being. And subsequently, the course of treatment and recovery will become long and complex.
The main medical advice that helps maintain health and avoid unpleasant days when you will be deprived of the opportunity to live a full life is prevention. It will help prevent inflammation or the occurrence of many diseases in the lower back.
You must follow several rules and tips:
- Choose a medium-hard mattress for your bedroom.
- If you move a little throughout the day but sit a lot in front of the computer, take a break for a few minutes every hour to briefly warm up your lower back.
- Give up bad habits.
- Try not to make sudden, reckless body movements.
- Exercise regularly. Even a small 15-minute morning exercise already has a positive effect on the condition of the spine. After 30, it's best to find a hobby that allows you to practice the necessary physical activity, with little chance of injury. Consider doing yoga or swimming in the pool to stay in shape.
- Control your posture.
- Avoid severe hypothermia in the lower back.
- Treat detected illnesses in a timely manner.
- Get regular preventative exams.
- If you experience back pain, contact the clinic immediately for an appointment.
Painful sensations in the spine are one of the most unpleasant. In addition to direct pain, they also bring with them stiffness in their movements, which prevents them from living a full and normal life.
The sooner professional treatment for back problems is started, the sooner a person can return to a full life. And neglecting your health in this case can lead to disability.